U Visas

Foreign citizens will qualify for U status if they are the victims of a violent crime, cooperate with law enforcement in the criminal investigation, and suffer substantial injury as a result of the crime. Law enforcement or other government officials must certify that the victim was cooperative with the investigation before a person can apply, but officials can refuse to certify for any reason. There is also a much higher demand for U status than there are visas available, resulting in long backlogs. People with U status may apply for permanent residence after three years.