Now scheduling in-person and phone appointments at our New Orleans and Baton Rouge locations.

Dedicated Immigration Representation for Over 20 Years

U Visas Lawyer in New Orleans

Offering Safety to Immigrant Victims of Crime

There are many different reasons for extending a person’s legal immigration status in the United States. Those entering to avoid danger or to assist law enforcement can apply for a U Visa. This visa allows immigrants to stay in the country longer.

With over 20 years of proven experience, our New Orleans lawyer at Wheatley Immigration Law can help you find the path to immigration. Call today to schedule your initial consultation.

Who Can Apply for a U Visa?

U Visas are meant to provide foreign nationals with protection from threats and harm. There may also be circumstances that require them to stay in the country longer.

Foreign nationals are eligible to apply for a U Visa if they:

  • Are victims of a violent crime that took place in the United States
  • Have information about the criminal activity
  • Cooperate with law enforcement in the criminal investigation or prosecution
  • Suffer substantial physical or mental abuse as a result of the crime

Qualifying criminal activity for a U visa application includes:

  • Sexual assault, exploitation, or human trafficking
  • Murder or manslaughter
  • Domestic violence, torture, or felonious assault
  • Kidnapping
  • Extortion or blackmail
  • Obstruction of justice

Law enforcement or other government officials must certify that the victim was cooperative with the investigation before a person can apply. However, officials can refuse to certify for any reason. There is also a much higher demand for U Visas than there are visas available, resulting in long backlogs.

U Visa Path to Citizenship

After obtaining a U Visa, you may be able to get a green card by adjusting your status to “permanent resident”. To do this, you must be present in the United States at least three years after receiving a U visa. After being a permanent resident for four years and nine months, you can apply for naturalization.

Inadmissible to the United States

Persons eligible for U Visas who are otherwise not admissible may apply for a waiver of inadmissibility when they file. Wheatley Immigration Law, LLC can provide you with the information you need to apply successfully.

Call (504) 784-6803 now and get started with your case.

Awards & Associations

  • American Immigration Lawyers Assoc
  • FBA
  • Avvo Reviews

Our Clients Trust Us and Know We Care About Them

"She is easy to reach, communicates well and is very thorough."

- Doug D.